Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Circular Linking and Drinking Thinking

Just got back from the Champions League match with Avi. The same interview on gaming and culture he pointed to was initially highlighted by Snarkmarket to pull out this quote: "All CCTV footage of road traffic, for instance, looks like CCTV footage taken right before an accident."

I was already thinking about the pervasive nature of games, but the combination got me thinking about the fact that, for me, games are the primary channel for accessing certain parts of culture and activities. To wit: Up until this year, I hadn't watched a soccer game on TV since childhood, but recently I started playing FIFA.

Result: All wide-angle shots of crowded playing fields with little men running around looks like the beginning to a game I'm about to play. I only really understand soccer, to the extent that I do, because of video games. Or, to a surprisingly strong degree, I only understand soccer as a video game.

Secondary result of mirror neurons and avatars: I'm a bit disappointed that striker Joey Seiler couldn't come in to win it back for Manchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment